Located in northwest México, the University has 5 campuses situated along Northern, Mid-Northern, Central and Southern Sinaloa. With a population of 128,077 students, the University is considered to be the leading academic institution in regard to having the most encompassing coverage in the region.
Its rectory and administrative offices are housed in the Central Building, located in the city of Culiacán on Blvd. Miguel Tamayo Espinoza de los Monteros. Faculties, Schools, Colleges and research institutes are distributed in Western, Central and Eastern areas of the State. UAS conducts academic activities among the population of other municipalities including but not limited to the communities of Los Mochis, Mazatlán, Guasave and Guamúchil. Furthermore, UAS collaborates with 60 high school campuses across the State of Sinaloa.
In 1874, The Lyceum Rosales changed its name to Colegio Rosales when they move the college from Mazatlán to Culiacán. With it, the college chose to introduce new vocations, offering careers in Surveying, Topography, Hydrology, Law, Accounting, Chemistry and Education.
In 1918, following the Mexican Revolution the Colegio Rosales became the first and original Universidad de Occidente. The State General Governor Ramon F. Iturbe proposed autonomy in order to give the university the legal capacity to not only project their own academic objectives but to also manage and govern their assets.
Universidad de Occidente changed its name in 1922 to Colegio Civil Rosales, which was nourished by the regime of autonomy, the atmosphere of freedom and the academic tradition of its predecessors. Later, in 1937 it became the Universidad Socialista del Noroeste, which supported the great social reforms of that time. In 1941, the Universidad Socialista del Noroeste became Universidad de Sinaloa.
In 1965, the institution recovered and reinstated autonomy which was abolished in 1937. It is at this time with its new legal order; that the Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa was renamed for the final time.
During the sixties and seventies the University endured through intense student, teacher and worker demonstrations. However, by 1977 the movement was able to restore the institution to greater standards; strengthened cultural attitudes, performance planned and overall improved of the University. UAS became increasingly committed to quality education and Sinaloa society, under the slogan: "Academic Achievement and Social Commitment."
The standardization process, from the inauguration of the University up until this point, is evident in its efforts to employ competent professors, expand scientific research, create a post-graduate level, deepen cultural extensions, and at the same time reorganize the administrative and financial structures of the institution.
The Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa is a public institution of higher education committed to the interests of Sinaloa´s society; its mission is to train high quality professionals, with prestige and social recognition, willing to contribute to the encouragement of sustainable development, trained to help in defining policies and developing strategies to reduce economic, social and cultural inequities.
The University is distinguished by having illustrious academic and administrative structures, quality academic conduct and governing systems, in addition to accreditations and certifications from agencies with national and international recognition. The above mentioned will enable the development and continuous improvement of expertise related to the production, conveyance and transfer of knowledge, whose impact is aimed at promoting the development of an economic and cultural identity and social and environmental sustainability.
Dr. Juan Eulogio Guerra Liera
MC. Jesús Madueña Molina
MA. Manuel de Jesús Lara Salazar
Chairman of Administration and Finance
Dr. Juan Ignacio Velázquez Dimas
Chairman of Academics
MA. América Magdalena Lizárraga González
Executive Director of Outreach and International Relations